Contact Us

Birmingham Grandparents Rights Lawyer

Serving Jefferson County,  Walker County & Alabama

While it would be nice if families always had the children’s best interests at heart, unfortunately that’s just not how it goes in the real world. Sometimes individuals attempt to keep their children away from their grandparents, and sometimes it is in the child’s best interests for grandparents’ rights to be stopped.

If either of the above scenario applies to you, it is important to know that grandparents do have certain rights in Alabama. These rights normally exist solely through the parents of the grandchild in question. This allows the parent to determine the amount of time grandparents can spend with their grandchildren. If the parent decides that children should not spend any time with the grandparents, then they have the right to attempt to enforce that.

Specifics do matter in each individual situation. If it is in the child’s best interests for the grandparents to have a relationship with the child, or even for the grandparents to obtain custody of the child altogether, then the grandparents should seek a grandparent’s rights lawyer who can help take a look at their case and determine their best course of action. The same holds true for parents interested in keeping their children from their grandparents. Normally the courts will keep the child’s best interests in mind when ruling in cases like these. An experienced attorney is necessary to obtain the most favorable outcome possible given the specifics of your case.

Grandparent’s Rights Attorney

Attorney Forrester understands the ins and outs of grandparent’s rights, and he is happy to utilize every bit of information gathered from his years of practice to help ensure that his clients’ rights are upheld in court and that they receive a fair judgement. If you need help establishing or terminating grandparent’s rights we can help.

Grandparent’s Visitation Rights

​Grandparents might have the right to court-ordered visitation against a parent’s wishes if the child in question is at least one year old and one or more of the following conditions is true:

  • The child has at least one parent who has died or who has been declared as missing for a minimum of three months

  • The child has a parent who has been incarcerated for at least three months or who has been deemed incompetent by the court

  • The parents of the child are divorced, and a minimum of one of the parents does not object to the child spending time with the grandparents in question

  • The parents of the child never married and do not currently live together. Note that in this case, paternal grandparents seeking rights will need to show proof of paternity in order to establish visitation

If you are seeking visitation rights and meet the above conditions, then you should reach out to an attorney today for help!

Custody and Adoption

In addition to visitation rights, it is possible for grandparents to adopt or obtain custody of their grandchildren. This is typically done when the child’s parent is mentally incapacitated, is in prison, or is a minor who is not able to care for the child.

An Experienced Grandparent’s Rights Attorney 

If you are seeking to establish or prevent grandparent rights, you owe it to yourself to reach out to an experienced attorney for help. They can help ensure that your rights are upheld and the best interests of the child are taken into consideration. Learn more about your rights and options by contacting Forrester Law, LLC, at 205-521-0011 for a free consultation. Based in Birmingham, the firm also maintains an office in Jasper. Mr. Forrester handles legal matters throughout Jefferson County and the surrounding areas.